Reduce Plastic Use in Daily life and Save Money by Simple Ways ♻️
We never thought much about plastic. Did we? Thanks to the surge of eco-friendly voices all over the world, we’re slowly waking up to the adverse effects of plastic use on environment and humanity.
Recycling of plastic is not leading to a solution. The truth is that more efficiency needs to be achieved in the recycling and reuse methods.
Western counties were dependent on China for processing of their recyclables. Now that China had its fill, it has stopped further acceptance of recyclable material.
Landfilling is the only option to bury the plastic and through this, plastic is finding its way to the sensitive ecosystems of oceans and public-use waterways.
Reasons for using less plastic in daily life
Climate change is real and over-use of plastic is clearly not helping.
- The hard facts show that there will be more pieces of plastic than aquatic organisms in the seas and oceans by 2050. The same facts show that the notorious ever-growing trash island between the coasts of Hawaii and California has become equivalent to the landmass of Texas.
- The truth about how plastic is ruining the global ecosystems is scary. We need to start acting now and fast to be a part of the solution and not pollution.
- Our society is conditioned for excessive usage of plastic. A plastic-free world should begin with a transformation in our mindsets regarding the negative effects of plastic pollution. Then, with changing people’s demand to eco-friendly alternatives for every day products.
- Recycling is not a one-stop solution in stopping plastic pollution. We need to change our thinking patterns to reduce the use of plastic.
- Tiny bits of plastic are in our air, water and food. According to research people ingest at least 50,000 plastic particles a year. That is approximately a credit card per week.
Magic of the 4-R rule
- Memorize this highly effective way to build a sustainable planet by freeing our society from the clutches of plastic.
- The first step is to REDUCE the usage of plastics by finding alternative solutions. You’ll know of more steps to downsize plastic use in this article.
- We got used to the convenience of single-use plastics without questioning either the need or their adverse effects on the environment.
- A simple NO to plastic water bottles and straws will create awareness to inhibit the use of plastics.
- REFUSE what you don’t truly need.
- ‘’It’s just one straw, it’s just one disposable cup, it’s just one plastic bag’’ - SAID 7.4 BILLION PEOPLE!
- When you’re using a plastic item, make sure to REUSE it as many times as possible.
- Once the plastic item has been completely used for its worth, RECYCLE it in the right way.
Ways to reduce the usage of single-use plastic
The transition to a plastic-free world is challenging. We need to understand the ineffectiveness of over usage of plastic products and gradually eliminate them from our lifestyles.
These are some actionable tips that will limit the usage of plastic in your personal and professional lives. These tips can also save you money!
Say NO to plastic water bottles
- Buy a robust water bottle whose life span will extend across many years.
- Decline any plastic water bottles that are offered to you until unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Investing in a good filter system will add to our health benefits too.
Use Solid toiletries
- Solid shampoo, lotion, conditioner, face wash to name a few are available in glass containers which are refillable.
- Save money using DIY hygiene products and avoid the purchase of new containers.
Use deodorants which are plastic-free
- Consider buying a deodorant filled in a glass jar.
- Making your own deodorant will make sure you’re not exposed to harmful chemicals.
Always have a backup during travel
- We all love travelling and this presents us with a wonderful opportunity to decrease unnecessary usage of plastic products.
- Equip yourself with an environment-friendly packing list and say no to single-use plastic items such as straws and cups.
Carry reusable bags to convenience stores
- Make sure to stash reusable bags in your car or purse. In this way, you can shop at your convenience without having to worry about using plastic bags.
Disposable straws aren’t worth it
- Buy a good quality reusable straw and you’ll be doing your part to reduce the visibility of plastic straws.
Spend on reusable containers and utensils
- When buying coffee or fast food items, use own reusable cups and containers.
- This will avoid the use of plastic packaging material.
- Make sure to carry spare containers in your car so that you won’t forget them every time you go out.
Consider using bamboo toothbrushes
- Plastic toothbrushes account for a large amount of trash in the oceans.
- Switch to environmentally safe alternatives such as bamboo toothbrushes. You can also reuse your old plastic toothbrush as a cleaning item at home.
Do-It-Yourself Cleaning items
- There are many simple and effective methods of making your very own cleaning product using vinegar and base oils.
- This will decrease your exposure to dangerous chemicals in factory-made cleaning items and reduce the use of plastic containers.
Buy in bulk quantities
- Consider using package-free convenience stress to purchase things like quinoa, pasta, dried fruits, nuts and lots more in bulk quantities,
- You can lobby for package-free options in your local store and be instrumental in changing the way they conduct business to build a sustainable environment.
Say No to products which have microbeads
- Microbeads present in face washes are made of plastic and these are introduced in our waterways contaminating the aquatic life.
- Switch over to natural alternatives which contain coconut oil and other natural exfoliates like coffee grounds and coarse salt.
Use a special bag to wash synthetic fabrics
- Small plastic particles drain into the waterways every time you wash synthetic fabrics like polyester, nylon and spandex.
- Washing them in a separate bag prevents these plastic particles from entering the bodies of fish.
- Usage of menstrual cups will give you more convenience and saving of money. Their use will decrease the amount of plastic in everyday life.
Use paper-stick cotton swabs
- Cotton swabs have plastic sticks. This model can be eliminated by use of paper sticks between cotton swabs.
Voice your opinions
- Support eco-friendly companies which are trying to reduce their plastic footprint in their products.
- You can also give feedback to companies that are using plastic packaging for your favorite products and educate them regarding the benefits of the plastic-free environment.
- Sofia Mendez